Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Effort 16 – My Sincere Thanks to MS


For 30 days, I will share the joys, pains, and dirty little secrets of my life with multiple sclerosis. My goal is to find a reason to convince you to support/share my fight against MS. Please donate today: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/eleanor.

This is Effort Number 16…

There are very few things I do solely because I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, even fewer are deeds I am proud to claim as accomplishments.

If not for my multiple sclerosis, I would never have become a writer. For that fact, I would like to send my sincere thanks to MS.
***
[You are very welcome.]
You are not MS, Inside Voice. You’re my inside voice.
[Sorry. I was just playing my part. My ying to your yang.]
It’s not your part. You’re not my ying…
[I’ll just shut up and let you tell a story.]
Thanks.
***
I was originally going to title this blog post “The Constant Noise of Words” or “the Constant Noise of Stories” — the tales written, blogs published, and drafts not quite yet put into final form pale in comparison to the stories actively scrambling through my mind whenever I’m awake. Fortunately, I sleep well and don’t have constant noise in my dreams. That’s a very good thing, for when they do appear, the noises are unsufferable streams of chaos. That is never a good thing.

Much like my chaos, this constant noise of words and stories I am talking about is not something I attribute to my MS. I’ve had a close relationship with the noise in my mind for as long as I can remember. I created worlds for my mind to thrive in, imagining scenes that were far different from the one my body resided in at the time; my escape from a world with which I often had trouble connecting. I never made the critical discovery as a child, understanding how writing down my constant noise and releasing the words had a far greater effect than merely as stories for others to enjoy. The act was more than sharing my burden, I released it — I turned my own anxieties into a permanent release of serenity and ecstasy!

No, it will be years before I discovered that trick. Until the day arrived, my noise, and words, and stories, and chaos, all remained inside.

(FYI – this is not where I thought this blog post was going. As I describe the younger me, sharing details about myself I’ve never expressed to anyone before, I’m writing discoveries I never made before – connections I never realize existed. It’s quite unsettling, so let’s please keep everything just between you and me for now, OK? Thanks.)

I have a lot of keepsakes from my childhood. Collections of school achievements and certificates; mementos and keepsakes I held onto for some reason; a large collection of “stuff” my mother kept as her baby boy grew up, until the day she turned it over to me. I’ve forgotten about most, some do not even bring back the faintest recollection when I retrieve the relic from my younger days. There are three I treasure:
  1. My second-grade story of “The Man with the Golden Arm,” written and illustrated by yours truly. I dug through boxes this morning, trying to find the picture book, but had to call off my search before I wasted too much time going down the rabbit hole. I’ll find it soon. It’s the only story I remember writing as a child; it has provided me over 40 years of comfort and smiles. Maybe one day, I will publish this next to Eleanor’s “The Three Little Squirrels and the Big Bad Dog.”
  2. A journal from my high school senior year religion class. Brother George DiCarluccio was my teacher. That was the first time I truly opened up and shared my thoughts. There was a lot of turmoil in the transition of that year (my father’s suicide, my first love, my acceptance into West Point). Brother Dicarluccio’s words and the peace I felt every time I reread the pages inspired me to write again 20 years later, a journal to the first child were expecting. Sadly, Ailish never lived to read my words, but my writing continued. When Eleanor is older, she will be the proud recipient of 2,500+ pages (and growing) of my rambling!
  3. A cadet evaluation from my Literature instructor at West Point. Mandatory Literature at West Point, back when I was there, was much as you would expect for a military institution. I did what was required to complete the class, but not much more. I had zero interest in English, Literature, writing, reading, or any other ‘flaky’ stuff like that, instead focused on math and computer science. 1’s and 0’s were so much more personable. My effort reflected my desire; my evaluation reflected my effort. I’m curious to see how my instructor will evaluate my ability to “get the job done, but without energy or enthusiasm.” Strangely enough, this was the only student evaluation I held on to…


My life before multiple sclerosis shied away from writing. The few times I was drawn towards storytelling, I created passions treasured every day of my life. I wonder what creations would have come from the eight-year-old child, the 16-year-old teenager, or the 20-something-year-old kid had he realized the power simple words and complex sentences held. Instead, my chaos continued to rage inside.

I’ve done a lot of stupid things in my life, actions I thought would make me feel better or relieve that thing inside me I could not describe (btw, it was chaos). Maybe I would’ve continued that way for a long time — many people live their whole life between the extreme highs and lows of stupid things. Perhaps it would have caught up with me in a grand way (grand good or grand bad, you decide). I never got the chance.

On October 7, 1999, I first read the words “possible multiple sclerosis” on a piece of paper, and my steady stream of chaos turned into a full-on avalanche. Years would go by before I started to rein in my chaos. Constant moves, poor decisions, work/life imbalance, toxic relationships, police reports, alcohol, and excess everything were the only outward expressions of my inner turmoil. The only time I seemed to feel at ease was in my drawn-out fundraising email messages of those early years, but I still never made the connection. It started to come to a head on May 1, 2008.

My Little Love,

I am going to use these pages to tell you about your Daddy and his life.  I want to try to give you the chance to know about the events, people & thoughts that made me….well, me, as I start to write this journal.
                               
I will write when I can.  Maybe I will develop some kind of regular pattern to this.  Maybe not.  Who knows, but I want to take the time and put as much as I can down in writing.  I’ll start on the things that got me to this point in May of 2008.  There’s lots of stories to tell and things to share.  There’s also the present – and all the excitement Mom & I have in our lives.  As time goes, all new stories & feelings will come to me.  I’ll write this too.

I’m not sure when I will share this with you.  But when I do, it is yours.
These pages are a sign of my love for you.  My experiences, thoughts, feelings and actions all make up who I am, who I was and who I will be.  I hope that the insight into me that you gain will help you understand the man I have become – and I hope you are proud of me!

Take these.  If they prove valuable, pass them on to the next generation.  Add to these pages if you want to & adopt them as a part of your legacy.

I love you with all my heart,
Daddy

As I did every day after that, I stepped away from my world, organized my anxieties, and described the chaos inside. I wrote in my journal. I created new stories just to have stories I could tell my unborn child. When Ailish decided this world would not be for her, I put away those pages, but the fire had already been lit. I created stories about worlds that should have been unfamiliar to me; I wrote stories about my life, my loves, my fears; I wrote stories about multiple sclerosis. I discovered I liked to create stories. Who knew?

Apparently, I knew. Digging through folders on my computer, both at work and home, I found scattered writings. One paragraph bursts of emotion, 5 to 10 pages of thoughts that were scrambling through my mind at random times. I’ve been doing it for years… Huh! By the time news of Eleanor came along on August 20, 2009, I was loaded with a treasure trove of stories to tell. Many of them had to wait for a while, as new stories pushed to their need to present themselves immediately. I never slowed down.

On April 15, 2010, less than two weeks before Ellie would come into the world, I shared my first story with the VA MS Center of Excellence: Living with Injections. Blogging for the VA turned into my own site. Today’s entry is blog number 123.

Not all my blogs are about multiple sclerosis. Not all the tales I share with Eleanor are about my struggles with the disease. I told stories for the simple fact that I always like to tell stories and found it very difficult to stop. Not until I drafted “Chaos” for my collection “The Ramblings of a Condemned Man” did I put 2+2 together, much like how the discovery of younger me did not occur until I wrote “Effort 16 – My Sincere Thanks to MS.”

I still like to tell stories just the purpose of telling stories. Sometimes, I need to do this because the chaos of those words cannot remain inside of me. Other times, my blogs are the wonderful therapy of a rash decision to spend 30 days telling everyone intimate details of my relationship with multiple sclerosis. Not the most well-thought-out idea, but definitely the healthiest release of that constant noise.

So, thank you, multiple sclerosis. In being the most debilitating and destructive experience of my life, you have become the catalyst of a wonderful, life-saving experience.

I still hate you and hope the stories will inspire my readers, leading to their donation to my fight.

Because it is a fight.
The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we ride!

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books

Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.


No comments:

Post a Comment