Saturday, September 7, 2019

Effort 13 – Timeout! Rest.


For 30 days, I will share the joys, pains, and dirty little secrets of my life with multiple sclerosis. My goal is to find a reason to convince you to support/share my fight against MS. Please donate today: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/eleanor.

This is Effort Number 13…

I returned from my last trip 33 days ago. In that time, I have taken six days off from the gym.

[Don’t you think that’s a little obsessive/compulsive?]

Not particularly. July was a lot of travel and vacation, so my body was well-rested. In the past 33 days, I have seen some of the most impressive gains in my ongoing push to fight and improve while standing face-to-face with my MS. My physical performance, stamina, and mental acuity has each realized new highs. Even while I subtly enjoyed my achievements, I knew a planned 10-day break was approaching; I wanted to see how far I could go. Much further than I thought possible…

[Then, why stop now?]

Good question. Well, simply put, there are a variety of reasons why I need to take a break.
  • The gym is closed, for a while, during that time.
  • I’m traveling again, for a while, during that time.
  • My body is not ready to push this hard, this quickly, for an extended period.


[But wait, just the other day you are saying that you don’t listen to your body. Were you lying then, or are you lying now?]

Neither. This is planned. Every day, before I exceed my goal, my body tells me I can’t. My body is a whiny little *$%@> that needs to be told what to do, when to start, until finally it accepts the challenge midstream and pushes. This morning, my body was raring to go, finally addicted to the constant adrenaline. I had to hold back, telling myself, “That’s not part of the plan. Stick to the plan.”

[What’s this “plan” you seem to know so much about?]

Now, you’re just being an ass, Inside Voice. You know exactly what I am thinking.

[I’m playing my part, setting you up for the big speech to your readers. You’re welcome.]

Thanks. There is a plan, but one of the promises I made early on was that I was not going to talk about the future. There will be time, after this blog series and after Bike MS fundraising and the for the year. Rest assured, it’s all good!

I’ve altered my physical therapy and workout regimens, and my body responded well. I increased the demand placed on my body; my body met the challenge every time. I’ve reinforced commitments to myself, my daughter, my readers, and those important to me in my life. I’ve upheld my part every single time and never had to back off of a promise unfilled. To steal a quote from my own book (a little pompous, I know), Moments:
“(Rest) now, child, for your body needs to. Tomorrow is the day to frolic together in the bounty you have reaped, to once again sow, and to continue nourishing your fields.”

[Well, then, enjoy your rest. Maybe you can spend some time thinking about more ways to quote your writing in your own blog.) Splendid.]

Asshole!

*PS: I waited until the end of the day to post this blog, happy to report my first day off was wonderful. Eleanor and I enjoyed homemade fruit smoothies for breakfast. We managed to “almost” complete a deep clean of the house. Lunch was at the Costco food court, as well as up and down the sample aisles. The only slight heartbreak was Army’s double-overtime loss to Michigan — who played, gentlemen, beat the Roadrunners! Five loads of laundry completed, folded, and put away — now it’s time to enjoy dinner with My Little Love.

Reminiscent of my Army days, I tell myself, “Rest! Get some chow and take care of your gear. The attack resumes on the 17th.

My stories will go on, for it is the hope is that my story will inspire your donation in this fight.

Because it is a fight.
The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we ride!

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books

Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.


No comments:

Post a Comment