Sunday, September 1, 2019

Effort 7 – And Just like That


For 30 days, I will share the joys, pains, and dirty little secrets of my life with multiple sclerosis. My goal is to find a reason to convince you to support/share my fight against MS. Please donate today: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/eleanor.

This is Effort Number 7…

“And just like that.” The equivalent of “yada yada yada” in conversation.

“He was writing a story, then penned the phrase ‘the end’ in his book. And just like that, his story ended.”

It saves the reader from having to endure an explanation why something happened, instead summarizing “just like that” as the justification. We all know why something happened just like that – we’ve all seen it a thousand times. Anyone who knows, just shake their head and says, “Yep. It happens just like that.” If you don’t know, you’re stuck with the amazement that, “Wow! It happens just like that?”

I tend to not use the phrase.
[Shocking…]
I like to tell stories, often double backing on the reason and its explanation.
[Anyone who read your blogs already knows this.]
For me, it offers a bit of clarity in my stories. Unfortunately, it can make them unmercifully drawn out.
[And just like that, he does it again!]

So today, instead, I’m going to tell you some of the interesting aspects of my life with multiple sclerosis, the phrase “and just like that” will highlight my unusual circumstance. The phrases, “Yep. It happens just like that.” and, “Wow! It happened just like that?” will be a thought that crosses just about everyone’s mind. I offer no explanation as to why the answers resonate, nor will I highlight details of the unusual circumstance.

This is MS. This is why my MS is unique.

*I was in a car accident in 1997. It was classified as a severe closed head injury. And just like that, my MS symptoms began to appear almost 2 years to the date.

*I went to the doctor on September 30, 1999, complaining of numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes. A unique set of circumstances raised flags with my doctor. And just like that, I received my first tentative diagnosis with MS seven days later.

*I was in the Army for 11 1/2 years, between my time in West Point and on active duty. Countless hours of money, training, and assignments went into developing me as a leader in the Army. And just like that, I was handed my discharge papers.

*I built a life and corporate America, mostly ignoring any effects of my MS. I was in one of “those people” so it really didn’t apply to me until I confronted the emotional aspect. And just like that, everything in my world collapsed.

*Relationships started out strong, my MS serving as nothing but a mere fact of life. Life exposes the reality of this disease. And just like that, one of us sabotaged our connection because of the reality of my MS.

*I rebuilt my life, again and again. After suffering health setbacks, I always had strong hopes about starting the next treatment or the next recovery. And just like that, I ended up in the hospital, again and again.

*My world collapses, again and again, after suffering health setbacks. Ongoing medical research leads to a new treatment. And just like that, the next recovery ignites hope in my rebuilt life.

*Fundraising slows as we reach the end of the season. Moving into September, I’m concerned we wanted our marker $50,000. And just like that…

The hope is my story will inspire your donation in this fight.

Because it is a fight.
The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we ride!

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books

Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.


No comments:

Post a Comment