Saturday, January 8, 2022

The Drowning Man - DAY 1

Short Story

https://the--drowning--man.blogspot.com/

HIS BLOG: DAY 1

Why did I choose today to start writing? Because on this special day, I have no one with me to celebrate. Before her, I preferred time alone. Seclusion kept me safe in an otherwise cruel world. I don’t recall choosing a withdrawn life over more pleasant options. It was all I had. It was enough. But when we met, I set aside my lonely past to become part of her world. She filled our days with excitement, adventure, and passion. She was more than I ever thought to ask for, more than I wanted, more than I would ever need. Without her, I was ignorant but satisfied. But, with her by my side, happiness blossomed beyond imagination, as did the expectation that it would never end.

She died today. All I can do is write these words, telling the world about her. Others might choose to cry in sorrow, but I welcome the tears of laughter that tickle my cheek. I need no consolation, nor will I hold onto some fantastic notion that she will wake me from this nightmare. Memories of our time together fill my heart. They leave no room for regret that we will not share another day. To focus on such despicable thoughts would slander her legacy. These words are our reminder.

It is not just the drowning man who needs to be saved.

For a man who needs nothing, to find love is the greatest gift.

Love is needed for the successful man to achieve greatness.

Love becomes essential if the satisfied man is to find joy.

With love, a man is prepared to follow when he already knows the way. Time will come when they brilliantly walk side-by-side. The time may come when he must carry her further. Now, it is time to continue my journey alone.

I am already slipping from the reality we shared but, please, strike me hard if a day ever comes when I pity myself because she is no longer here. Curse me if I pretend for a moment that she did not supply me with more than I will ever need.

No, I promise to share the only returns she ever asked of me in exchange for her love.

Smiles.

Laughter.

Memories.



If you enjoyed the story, please consider a donation to NEVER STOP NEVER QUIT.



100% of your donation will directly support our fight. We pay the cost of managing our foundation.

All donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. You will receive a receipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment