Saturday, December 18, 2021

A Thousand Words

Short Story

A Thousand Words

(Originally published February 2019, “Complete the Picture”)

What is this picture worth, you ask? Tattered and fringed edges assert its value, reminders of how it is always with me as a pocketed keepsake no matter where I go. I will never have a copy made. There is no way to replicate the affection I have for this print. The glossy finish is quite scratched, a consequence of countless times I have pulled it from my pocket to tell the story of our moment.

The timestamp, an imprint arousing elaborate visions of that day with you, is perhaps even more notable than the posed image itself. It was another early morning, long before either of our bodies were ready, yet we heartily welcomed the sunrise. We were both famished, more than any other time before. I remember how you watched me in silence, your eyes tracking as I scurried in all directions across the kitchen floor. First, I presented your nourishment. You remained still, however, until I prepared my meal and sat at the table. Then, hungrily, we scarfed down our food while reminiscing over the evening’s blissful slumber and weighing options for the day’s activities. I remember the anticipation I felt while making our plans. It was to be a day like no other, before or after. By all accounts, it was.

Though more inconspicuous than those frazzled edges and that fated moment in time captured by the stamp, its picture quality is a startling reminder of just how long ago everything happened. With grainy imperfections and an overexposed center, your slightly blurred silhouette has the dented look photographs developed back then. God, it was so long ago! I was young and vibrant, ready to take my monumental next step with you, yet scared of everything I knew those actions would set into motion.

The location was once considered a significant landmark by travelers from across the globe. Yet, only a select few are privileged to know how you and I are etched into its legacy. The bridge was built well before you were born, even before I came into this world. The water once below it was gone, but surely the span will remain standing long after our dust has scattered to the four corners of this earth. My only hope is that no one else tries to replicate our moment in that photograph, on that bridge. To do so would only mark their effort as a flawed, failed attempt.

What the details of this grainy photo do not show is just how warm it was on that timestamped instant on an irrelevant bridge over an arid waterway. Only you, wearing an elegant summer dress down to your ankles but open at the shoulders, tell that tale. Through the distortions of the faded and scratched image, I can see the sweat that formed on your brow. The August sun was already blistering that day.

Others are visible on the periphery of our frame. As they walked about on the bridge, in that heat, I did not observe one worry. After I brought you there, while waiting until you posed for the perfect shot, the surroundings appeared almost blasé, if I may use their word. Even today, I am lifted by the effect we had on their boring lives. In an instant, you and I were the focus of all attention. Later that day, or the one after, they would return to from wherever it was they came, their lives once again becoming blasé. It was that next moment, the one immediately following our photo, that shall be forever etched in their minds. “She looked so beautiful,” and “He startled her with that,” and “What an odd thing to do in such an inelegant place,” will be speckled in their tales for years to come. On the quiet streets where they lived their everyday lives, they would never again witness an adventure like ours.

The back of our nostalgic photograph is still blank. For quite some time, I wanted to write a final message on it to you. I hoped to explain my attraction the first time we met – my enchantment on that bridge so many years ago, my pride and delight every moment of every day since. I once yearned to record those truths, but there is no need; the picture already conveys everything. On that bridge, at that moment, in that heat, among those insignificant travelers, you quickly fade past the background and through the paper, leaving the only impression possible on the back of our photograph. The lone vision that matters is you. Your innocent pose. Your angelic face, wrinkling the slightest smile. Your glistening brow and glowing skin. They all echo a reminder to the world: Absolute beauty has indeed existed.

Your eyes tell a story far more exhilarating than my words ever can. There was a young girl, the epitome of grace and innocence, standing alone. In time, she could have faced the harsh, arid world on her own. She stood with the assuredness that, if forced to, she would exploit her grace and mar her innocence so that nothing would ever take her away. Yes, she could do that, but there was no need. If you look closely, in the fainted reflection of her eyes and the shimmer from a passing automobile, a hint of my action struggles to take form. She does not know what my life holds in store for her, but she loves enough to trust my direction. She says nothing. After the picture is taken, by simply forming two words, she could complete my world. Before she spoke, however, it was captured on her face by the image better than it ever could be revealed through an inscription on its back.

I often wonder what story the photograph will tell when I am gone. If the strangers I have shown my picture and shared our story should see it again, will they remember what I did? Will anyone know that right after I took that photograph, I…


If you enjoyed the story, please consider a donation to NEVER STOP NEVER QUIT.



100% of your donation will directly support our fight. We pay the cost of managing our foundation.

All donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. You will receive a receipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment