Sunday, March 7, 2021

Reconstructing and Defining Kevin Part Two: Introduction

 

Part Two: Introduction

 

Life in a world of illness and anxiety is often marginalized with a snappy quip or pseudo-motivational cliché. Reminders to never look back and always press ahead imply life is a linear abstract with nothing but destructive stagnation in the past. Personal outlooks are measured horizontally or graphed vertically; you must either rise above or move beyond the maladies of yesterday before they have the power to catch up and consume your potential for tomorrow. You are taught to follow the shining examples ahead/above. You lead those trailing, guide if they are below, the strong must carry the weak. Arm in arm with others by your side, you move on/up. It is the crowning example of our forefathers, of our leaders and mentors, of the Lord our Savior.

But what if there is no specific objective at the end of our chosen path?

On one insignificant afternoon, I stood in the middle of an empty field. In my mind, I watched as reminders of my past scattered behind me, along my sides, and ahead as far as I could see. They shared equal space with tokens of my life today and the infinite potential of what is still yet to come. I imagined the same was below my feet and across the sky. The earth held every memory, every reminder of yesterday. Expectations of tomorrow turned into visions I now see — both will eventually take their place with the memories of my past. I alone determine if those reminders become cherished or despised. This sweeping perspective did not show my opportunities lost or roads not taken, for they simply no longer exist. My position in that field was a gentle reminder of how there are no backwards or forwards. Life changed the day I decided to abandon linear constructs in favor of expanding my environment.

– November 4, 2020

***

The developing draft of my story will be shared on this secure drive location: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E4cNpkFBU4qf3zYDIqZ5Nw72DzhGe88r?usp=sharing

 

These are the thoughts going through my mind as I try to piece it all together…

This is not about what my life will be like when the fight is over.

I will never stop

I will never quit

This is my story

 

https://mssociety.donordrive.com/participant/Eleanor

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books

 

Never Stop… Never Quit…®

Kevin Byrne

Portland, OR

www.neverstopneverquit.com

www.neverstopneverquit.blogspot.com

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment