Monday, June 5, 2017

Gait, and Other Inconsequential Ramblings of a Condemned Man

This is, without a doubt, the most observable part of my MS. If you see me sitting at a table, eating or chatting, it may not look like anything is abnormal. When I rise and start to walk, that’s when the connection is made. There is nothing graceful about my poor interpretation of a zombie, a walker, or whatever the heck it is I’m supposed to mimic. I am slow, I fall regularly, walking takes an immense amount of energy. Most of my significant injuries are the result of a fall. I wonder, if this was on my match.com profile, would Brie have signed on so readily…
Walking is difficult, but I am going to walk. There is no debate on this point. Therefore, I need a lot of help keeping my commitment. I would like to familiarize you with my walking aides, in, what I call, my 2017 summer fashion line for mobility.
[cue runway sequence]
High Performance
If you’re looking for topline results, look no further than the Bioness L300. Design with performance in mind, the L300 will exceed every expectation. This brace isn’t for the faint of heart; if you’re like me, and have a sensitivity to deep pulses of electricity shooting through your leg, you need to use this brace in well-planned, sizable chunks. When you do, the rewards are plentiful.
No matter if you are walking for to defeat MS…
Walking the dog…
Or, walking around the dance floor with your little love…
You are walking on sunshine with the Bioness L300!
* Bioness is a proud sponsor of Team Amulet and Bike MS 2017.

Utility
This brace will go anywhere you want, and get you there. It’s the perfect blend of mediocrity; you can do ‘just about everything just a bit’. Light, durable, and accommodating, this AFO is a simple, easy, fire-and-forget solution. Wear it all day…
Around the house…
On the beach…
Or, on the moon…
A utility AFO is essential for day to day living.

MOAB
The “Mother of All Braces” is as indestructible as you used to be, before you were diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. There’s nothing this brace can’t do, nowhere it can’t go. It’s tough on your body, but that’s what it takes to be immortal. If you wear the MOAB, you had better be on the move, for it doesn’t like to sit still, your leg will regret a sedentary lifestyle. “It” has no emotion. You have to bring personality to the game yourself. I suggest a matching ensemble.

Trekking Poll
If it’s a trekking poll, you’re an athlete, not a cripple. Mind over matter…

Canes
If you have to go the regular route, do it with style and add a little flair to your repertoire. Black is run down and beaten; today, we got pinks, we got blues, we got sexy curves, we got built in stands for those who don’t have time to ‘put something down’.
 
Just remember, you don’t have to do this alone.

**************************

Walking (Gait) Difficulties
Related to several factors including weakness, spasticity, loss of balance, sensory deficit and fatigue, and can be helped by physical therapy, assistive therapy and medications.http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Symptoms-Diagnosis/MS-Symptoms


The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we fight!

Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

No comments:

Post a Comment