Monday, August 17, 2026

Veterans, Multiple Sclerosis, and Suicide

Research a hundred different sources—slight variations in the statistics do nothing to soften the horror behind the numbers. Veterans face a suicide rate 50% higher than the general population. Among people fighting the debilitating effects of multiple sclerosis, the suicide rate is nearly twice that of those without MS. Children who have had a parent committed suicide by three times more likely to kill themselves.

I raised my right hand and joined the Army in 1989; my multiple sclerosis diagnosis in 1999 forced an early medical retirement; in 1988, I stood over my father’s body and discover the truth behind a word that would haunt me for the rest of my life: SUICIDE. I have fought that battle myself. The fear never fades and the risk will always follow me. Since the morning I turned 43 years and 80 days old, however, the horrific words, “You are going to kill yourself someday,” have become just a haunting reminder that suicide is still out there…

On September 26, I will honor those brave souls fighting to hold onto their lives, their family and friends, and pray for those who lost that final battle. I will do that, and more, with a smile on my face and my music blaring as I ride in the National MS Society Oregon Chapter’s 2026 Bike MS.

My last outdoor Bike MS was in 2023, when Rogue and I traveled the McMinnville route together. In 2024, I rode 100 miles in my garage on October 6, 25 years to the day I first read the words “possible multiple sclerosis.” In September of ’25, I completed the century option in my garage one more time; every month since, I have done that ride “one more time…” Read the full story on my Garage Dayz here.

I will still do my Garage Dayz 100-miler, this time on September 8. 18 days later, I will bring my stationary trike and trainer out to McMinnville so I can ride “Day 2” with my MS family.

September is Suicide Awareness Month, so that will be my focus. I will ride 22 miles on my trainer to reinforce the commitment to overcome the loneliness, isolation, fear, and shame behind suicidal battles. I want my efforts to demonstrate our support and love for those in need, and for those left behind if the fight is lost.

I am branding my ride with commemorative swag to reinforce the message: 22 Miles, Countless Lives.

Amazon Merch on Demand

NeverStopNeverQuit Etsy Store

Every dollar raised will go to a program earmarked for the unique community of veterans living with multiple sclerosis. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) estimates that 70,000 veterans live with MS in the United States. Veterans commit to support and defend the nation from which we sprang. Our small sample size highlights a greater need. As a retired Army officer fighting MS, my love and dedication will never waver. I will stand beside anyone in need. I will support them and fight for them.

I will Never Stop… Never Quit…, for them.

Kevin

The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
Never Stop... Never Quit...® 
NeverStopNeverQuit.com



No comments:

Post a Comment