Thursday, July 23, 2015

Bike MS 2015 - Fight Fire With Fire


               

My message is going out everywhere with just one intent. I want to gain all the support we can drum up for our Bike MS 2015 campaign.  Please click on the link above and support our fight against multiple sclerosis.

Fight: that is all I want to do.

My youth in the Bronx, my West Point days, then the Army REFINED the tools I would need to fight and strive for my goals. With my MS, and the start of my second life, I started to learn HOW to fight. Today, I am constantly reminded WHY my fight needs to go on.

My multiple sclerosis fight is now in its 16th year. At the end of 2015 I will mark a major milestone as I complete a two-year clinical trial. The goal of the trial is to find a treatment, if not the cure, for Secondary Progressive MS. I have spent nearly three years as part of this study, looking to stem the progression of this disease’s advanced stages. Fighting back is the only option. If this research doesn’t lead to a breakthrough, I will charge ahead in support of another chance.

The new cases of multiple sclerosis diagnosed daily remind me that we don’t yet have a cure. The rapid worsening of my own disability is a reminder of the paramount challenges for all affected by MS. My arms and hands are failing; my voice is weak; my days upright and mobile are fading. My goals, however, remain strong. Words are my strength today, so that is how I fight. A World Free of MS is still the vision.

We will win this fight. My goals still remain set on the recovery and rehab I’ll need to dance with my little Eleanor again. If I don’t reach that target, I’ll continue fighting to ensure her generation never has to hear the words “YOU HAVE MS”.


The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we fight!

Kevin Byrne - Portland, OR

* Inspiration: Metallica, “Fight Fire With Fire”, Megaforce Records, 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment