Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Effort 22 – Always Deliberate


For 30 days, I will share the joys, pains, and dirty little secrets of my life with multiple sclerosis. My goal is to find a reason to convince you to support/share my fight against MS. Please donate today: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/eleanor.

This is Effort Number 22…

While my claim may come as no surprise to most people, I still catch some off guard every once in a while.    

Almost everything I do is deliberate. If an action is not, I’ve slipped up somewhere. My MS did not create this attribute, but it definitely turned it into a…
[Compulsion.]
No.
[Disorder.]
No.
[Obsession]
No. Let’s go with fixation.
[Whatever…]

My fixation on the deliberate nature of my actions resides in both definitions of the word.

Thought out, judged, and reflected = slow
As my daughter proclaimed to everyone in our interview, I’m slow. That’s a general rule for my activities.

Snap muscle actions and reflexes are a thing of the past along most of my central nervous system. Nerves don’t fire correctly, or at all. Muscles have atrophied – some are dead – some are weighed down by the rest of me. Flexibility is reduced or restricted, hampering muscle contraction and relaxation. My best estimate puts this affliction onto about 35-40% of the external muscle groups in my body (attributable to motion). The added load on “good” muscles, imbalance, and the necessity of left/right working together compounds everything. Put that all together and a litany of words describe my labors.
[Cumbersome]
Unwieldy
[Ungainly]
Lumbering
[Dorky]
That’s just mean.
[Sorry]

Deliberate is also a cautionary measure on my part. My body does not offer feedback the way senses normally would. I also need to ensure that I can compensate for my poor muscle reaction. Every step I take is scouted and planned beforehand. My hands and arms are set to balance myself or brace a potential fall. I can chew bubblegum, but not much else while I am walking.

While I may have some exceptions to this rule, my power and speed are not generated by quick bursts of energy. Cardio workouts (cycling, elliptical, etc.) are increased power applied to a repetitive movement. While I can snap throw a ball with my right arm, it’s a poor effort since I’m a southpaw. Hard, accurate throws require a full wind up and delivery, utilizing my arm/body/legs together — I can throw a semi-accurate pitch over 78 mph, yet I can’t lift my arm out straight!


Intentional
Not specific to my MS, this attribute has many roots.
[You’re old.]
I’m direct.
[You’re crotchety.]
I need to have my words, actions, and needs not to be misunderstood.
[Literally the definition of crotchety.]
That’s not true.

My goal of describing my nature is a combination of reasons/issues. I’ll try to stick with the MS-related aspects of my deliberateness.
  • I’m often misunderstood when my slurring or slow responses often lead to assumptions. “Would you like to…?” or “What about…?” can have unintended consequences if I try a long, fancy explanation. “Yes, No, I Don’t Want” are abrupt answers. Usually they are received well if others react as I need but then listen to my extended explanation.
  • Many people are so generous and helpful, it can be hard to stop them if I don’t need an aide. I get it – I look like someone who needs help. Many times I don’t; I need to do it myself, for my physical therapy and my sanity. A simple “No, thanks” is often overlooked. Sometimes I need help but react the same way — I don’t know where that moving line is and prefer failing over quitting (my poor logic).
  • I’m a nervous creature, always afraid of running out of steam in public. That leads to an accident, embarrassing situations, and irritated people. I often cut conversations, engagements, and outings short because my energy reserve in a super-critical commodity. I can’t/don’t want to explain myself constantly.
  • I get angry. When I can’t do something, or I’m forced to do something, I don’t react well sometimes.
  • I get angry. When my MS is belittled, ignored, or babied. I react — I overreact.

[Is that all?]
I’m old and crotchety.

There are caveats to this confession.
  • Many times I say what I mean, but it’s good-natured because I honestly do want to be loving, pleasant, and sociable (even when I don’t know how).
  • Many times what I want to do the loving, pleasant, and sociable action, so that’s what I do (for as much or as long as I can).

Hopefully, most people see me in this light!



I hope my stories will inspire you to donate to my fight.

Because it is a fight.
The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we ride!

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books

Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.


No comments:

Post a Comment