Saturday, September 14, 2019

Effort 19 – What Do I Miss Most?

For 30 days, I will share the joys, pains, and dirty little secrets of my life with multiple sclerosis. My goal is to find a reason to convince you to support/share my fight against MS. Please donate today: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/eleanor

This is Effort Number 19…

I did not post my effort yesterday. September 13th was a day for family – not everything is about my MS.

“Of everything you have lost, because of your multiple sclerosis, what do you miss most?”

This is probably one of the hardest questions to answer. I haven’t lost anything…yet. Maybe you could consider my military career or, more specifically, my career flying helicopters. Maybe that was difficult at some point, but time and far better opportunities have erased any sorrow.

I have “partially” lost a mountain of abilities. My body can still do anything it was able to before my MS, just generally a lot less…

When starting to put together a list of my disabilities, I realized the exercise held no value. Should I complete that list, I would be compelled too lay it side-by-side with a list of things I gained because of my MS.

I see my friends. 
I see my fellow MS warriors. 
I see my family.
I don’t chastise myself or feel selfish for lamenting the losses I have experience for almost 20 years. Nor can I miss that which I may/may not lose in the future.

I have been told a writer should never discard drafts of their work, regardless of the quality. Two hours of writing, an inventory list of stories about losing my activities, my passions, and my loves turned into a complete waste of time. 

Almost. 

My labor to recall what I miss most because of my MS was suddenly and violently brushed aside by the activities, passions, and loves my disease created.

I’ll stop here and let my mind rest…

I hope my stories will inspire you to donate to my fight.

Because it is a fight. 
The fight is not over and it won’t be over until a cure is found.
It will never stop…nor will we
It will never quit…nor will we
This is why we ride!

100% of the royalties earned from my books go to the National MS Society, to support our fight: http://neverstopneverquit.com/books
Never Stop… Never Quit…®
Kevin Byrne
Portland, OR

Never Stop… Never Quit… Reg. U.S. Pat. & Tm. Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment